Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Legends: Joy Division [1976-1980]




Joy Division has been a favorite band of mine for a few years now. When I was younger, I never wanted to be like Ian Curtis. I wanted to be Ian Curtis. In some ways, I was. In other words, if you didn’t know by now, this band is worth obsessing over. This band is worth listening to every song they produced, and then sifting through each track, after many repeated plays, find your favorites. Here’s 5 of mine:





1. She’s Lost Control
"And she turned around and took me by the hand and said, I've lost control again. And how I'll never know just why or understand, she said I've lost control again. And she screamed out kicking on her side and said, I've lost control again. And seized up on the floor, I thought she'd die. She said I've lost control. She's lost control again."


2. Isolation
But if you could just see the beauty, these things I could never describe, these pleasures a wayward distraction. This is my one lucky prize.
Isolation, isolation, isolation, isolation, isolation.



3. Transmission
Radio, live transmission. Listen to the silence, let it ring on. Eyes, dark grey lenses frightened of the sun. We would have a fine time living in the night, left to blind destruction, waiting for our sight.


4. Love Will Tear Us Apart
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low, and resentment rides high but emotions won't grow. And we're changing our ways, taking different roads. Then love, love will tear us apart again.
Love, love will tear us apart again




Also, for those still listening, a live song from the Joy Division's hometown:

Atrocity Exhibition [Live at The Factory in Hulme, Manchester, England]





Purchase What You Just Heard:

No comments: