Monday, July 24, 2006

A Seemingly Conceptual Cursive


Of course, Cursive is not the first band on Saddle Creek Records to move towards deeper political, social, religious commentary. But honestly, they were a one that I least expected it from. Per usual, SC offered two mp3's from the soon fall-coming Cursive release, Happy Hollow, to be released on August 22nd.

For some personally meaningful history: I did not learn of Cursive until Spring-ish 2004, when a girl in debate class showed me The Ugly Organ, almost promising it would change my life. I remember coming to Art Is Hard first, and then The Recluse. Cursive was, in actuality, my first Saddle Creek band. So, as always, it was exciting to learn that a favorite band was releasing another album - but...I squirmed. It makes me nervous, you know? I don't want Cursive to violate who they are in my head. I first knew there was serious change when I learned about Nate Walcott's horn arrangements on the next album, Happy Hollow. But, that was no end...

It turns out that Happy Hollow is on the border between concept album and social venting. But, to read interviews with lead Tim Kasher and guitarrist Ted Stevens, it seems like they know where they are, as far as politics and religion go. It seems as though they have a lot of the same frustrations as I. So, I lost the squirms. This seems to be a comfortable area for them.

The Cursive from debate class controled lyrics that were haunting and beautiful, and I imagine that these will be haunting, in an "Our society stands for that?" way...Nonetheless, I already pre-ordered the album, and am excited for it. It ships two weeks early (the standard SC deal on pre-orders) along with two new SC Samplers.

The first track here is Dorothy at Forty. Make another tally mark for harsh Cursive realism. The song is about Dorothy from Wizard of Oz, and her desperately unrealistic dreams. The song's ending? "Dorothy, wake up, Dorothy, wake up. Dorothy, wake up, it's time for work."

Cursive - Dorothy at Forty

Track two is Bad Sects, a tale from a Catholic priest and his repessed same-sex love. That last lyric is: "I know this is wrong cause we're told this is wrong."

Cursive - Bad Sects

Pre-order the album, Happy Hollow, here.

No comments: