Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cursive - Dorothy at Forty Single


I received Cursive's latest single in the mail the other day (I promise, pre-ordering is the way to go). So, here is the second track from the latest Cursive, the Dorothy at Forty single. Evidently, as most bands do (seemingly sooner than Cursive has), Cursive moved further down the path of unique intrumentalism, past the cello, past the organ, and is now amongst the horn arrangements composed by Nate Walcott (Bright Eyes).

Tim Kasher's singing voice has somehow become an imitation of Mike Meyers poetic voice found in So I Married an Axe Murderer. I am still trying to figure out why that is. The difference is, the poetry's undeniably better, more mature. Of course, Kasher has been making a living from his writing voice since The Storms of Early Summer. So, here is the second track from the latest Cursive, their "Dorothy at Forty" single. "The Bitter End" contains typical Cursivic pessimistic realism, while moving beyond the Cursive usual.

As this was my first Saddle Creek band, it should be hard for me to move on from the sounds of Domestica, Ugly Organ, and others, but it is too good for me to turn away from. The problem is track three on the record, "The Censor". I thought Tim Kasher swore to stop making music about making music?

Cursive - The Bitter End

Buy the single from Saddle Creek here ($4)

No comments: