Sunday, July 16, 2006

Eric Bachmann





"Hi, I'm a folk singer."
"Ah, the next Dylan..."


I feel the need to apologize, because when I was mustering up what I could say about Mr. Bachmann, the name Dylan has come up quite a few times. Some similarities? Yes. Similar instrumentation, and similar frogs in their lungs they can't avoid. So, I decline to make the full comparison. Lyrically? No. Not even in the same continent.

But in this case, the lyrics go with the music well. Bachmann's words are the kind that you can visit every so often while absorbed in the song, check in on them...yes, still speaking English...singing about wild animals...and then distracted by the vocals, or harmonica, or guitar.

Saddle Creek, as (mostly) always, I am proud of you. This soon-coming release might have made more sense under Team Love, at the same time, I find it is a good move for Saddle Creek, diversifying their folk content outside of Azure Ray (and the branching solo careers), Son, Ambulance, and...sometimes, Bright Eyes.

Overall, this is good music. It can't really compare to much while still being much like an album I've heard a thousand times (in the best way possible). Dondero? Dylan? No, just in a way. It is an example of a strong artist who's achieved solo well. I will start listening to it at an inreasing rate, when I'm by myself, and appreciate the music's complementing my mood. And what mood would that be? Just an Eric Bachmann mood, no one else.

In good SC fashion, a couple of mp3's were put out on the website in support of the album.

Eric Bachmann - Carrboro Woman
Eric Bachmann - Lonesome Warrior

If you like them, pre-order the album here, and of course, comment if you have anything to say, or took and wouldn't mind informing me. For more information on Eric Bachmann, go to www.saddle-creek.com , and then his artist page. The ablum comes out on 08.22.06.

No comments: