Friday, July 07, 2006

Xiu Xiu; Son, Ambulance (similar foundations)



As opposed to doing another group of the similarly-themed (however desperate the reach was), I decided to join songs that came from nearly opposite ideas. The two don't, though, escape the similar foundation of honesty, certain sadness, and beauty.

I honestly hadn't thought highly enough of Xiu Xiu until I heard Fabulous Muscles. When I heard that song in a car with friends, I realized the honesty held within his vocals, that is released with each gasping sound. I appreciate how he is able to morph words that would otherwise be disgusting in value, and translate them into some other language of feelings and emotion, where the surface is not judged, rather the meaning underneath it.

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Sadly, I don't believe that Son, Ambulance gets the attention they warrant. Albeit, Key was kind of a miss (a friend of mine threw it out of his car window after one listen). I believe it was another case where a band progressed and sounded worse. But this song, Kaite Come True, is pretty minimal (vocals, piano, guitar, drums, am I missing anything?). It was my first Son, Ambulance song, and still my favorite (right next to Brown Park). In fact, those two songs were on my first Saddle Creek mix, which was, in essence, my introduction to my current musical tastes. While we're on the subject, I think I might make a post of that Saddle Creek mix (I believe that all of the mp3's are still at www.saddle-creek.com .
And...Kaite Come True...wonderful song, wonderful idea. Where there is physical gratification in "Fabulous Muscles", there is a lack of mutual emotion (which can be found in "Kaite Come True", as well). Come to think of it, both are about strong, one-sided emotions. They both have quite a bit of longing. Though one (the first) has quite a bit of physical presence from the opposite half, "Kaite Come True" shows a complete lack of physical presence from the other person. Here it is.

Son, Ambulance - Kaite Come True

For more information on Fabulous Muscles, or to buy it, click here.

To buy a Son, Ambulance release, click here.

1 comment:

rg said...

this is quite old i know, but your file for kaite come true no longer works. do you have another that you can upload?

thanks!