Monday, July 10, 2006

Danielson - Live, 07.09.06; Oklahoma City, OK



Danielson.

Listening to a soulful, peaceful, sometimes motherly, sometimes fatherly Nina Simone on the way to The Conservatory provided a high contrast compared to the Danielson set. It was an energetic night.

The opening band was It's Hysterical, who were enjoyable, but sounded too similar to the next band, a much better Student Film. Check out their music. I liked their being picked as opener's for Danielson. I missed Seth(y) playing in Student Film. And then, after an enjoyable nap between the first two bands, and after the second band, Wayne Coyne (of The Flaming Lips, of course) showed up. No, this does not happen at all the Oklahoma shows. I think I overheard him saying, "I want to see what everyone was talking about". And then Danielson:

They set up their instruments in partial uniform, and then came back on stage after a good amount of time (and a lot of cricket sounds from a cricket) in full Danielson Family Uniform. I clumsily asked Megan after the show at the merch booth, where I bought an LP, if the uniforms were modeled after another uniform, such as boy scouts or a more militaristic one, she said "No, it is The Danielson Family uniform."


Here are Andrew (capless) and Megan modeling the upper-half of the uniforms.


The songs-choice was nice. I appreciated the great amount of songs from Ship being played, as I am a new fan, including a couple of favorites. Beforehand, I assumed I would join all of my courages and ask for the formal set list after the show, but learned that Danielson plans well ahead, and had their music in sheet protectors in folders on music stands. So here is a list of the songs played, in their order, according to my sloppy notes. (To download 5 and 9, Right Click, and Save Target As...)

1. Ship The Majestic Suffix
2. Cast It At The Setting Sail
3. Bloodbook On The Half-Shell**
4. Did I Step On Your Trumpet*
5. Kids Pushing Kids*
6. (Sorry, I don't know the title)*
7. Two Sitting Ducks*
8. (Sorry, I don't know this title, either)
9. Five Stars And Two Thumbs Up*

ENCORE:

10. Cutest Little Dragon***

*Daniel told the audience these were clap-alongs.
**Daniel told the audience this was a snap-along.
***Daniel told the audience this was a sing-along.

Danielson was made up of six people: David, the first-chair percussionist; Andrew, the second-chair percussionist; Jedidiah, the bassist; Evan on the keyboards, vocals, snaps, and claps (probably one of the most entertaining performers I have seen live, at least when it comes to facial expressions); Megan playing the glockenspiel, marimba, claps, snaps, and vocals; and Daniel, who sang lead vocals, played the trumpet, snapped, clapped, footstepped, and played the guitar. All members were fun, entertaining. I was very impressed by the percussion section, and their minimal sets (still sounding great). I also liked Jedidiah's glasses, but thought it would have seemed lame to go up to him just to converse about his glasses.

At the end of the last song, there were swirling lights and flashing lights. It was the first time I had seen the Conservatory do anything of the sort. It was a nice experience.

Overall, the show was great, and great fun, and I have a newly regained respect and appreciation for Danielson.


Jedidiah on the bass

I apologize because the images of the drummers is of such incredibly poor quality (thus, the images shan't be posted).


Daniel and Evan (this was the best I could get of Evan from my angle)


Megan, who I forgot to mention, also whistled along with Evan (and maybe, sometimes Daniel)


Daniel


and Daniel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bah. jealous