Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Kiwis

Formerly known as: The Kiwis of the South Pacific



Today, I thought I would be making a post about an attempt for Higher Beauty (musically, of course). Needless to say, once you listen to the Kiwis, you will understand why this post couldn't typically be entitled so. They are musically planets away from the beautiful vocal's of Nina Simone, or the other-worldy instrumentation of Sigur Ros, or Efterklang (from what little I've heard of Efterklang). However, at the same time, I've listened to people talking about an ugly kind of beautiful, where it is so honest and unappealing, that it is beautiful for that reason. Quite paradoxical, I would say. The caterpillar before the coccon is ugly unless you think of what it means. That was not to say that I hope this band does a major transformation to Spektor-ish pop, merely the opposite. I love The Kiwis, and childishly think of them as my "punk rock band", and when I analyze it, I find that necessary. Maybe it doesn't need to be in the genre of "punk rock" for it to be a personally "punk" song. I find this band to be what I want and see in "punk", not only lyrically, but also for what they mean to me. It is a band where I lose my musical senses and shamelessly headbang and fist-pump and scream in my car to songs like "What the hell happened to Weezer". Is this lo-fi punk rock?

I would not be posting this if this band's music didn't mean something true to me. This isn't an attempt to let you know about some "new cool thing" (I don't think they musically fit the bill as a "new cool thing"). Just listen, and hating it is cool. I do, too, while at the same time embracing it completely.

Below is The Kiwis of the South Pacific - Beware of Falling Rock. You can get more tracks of theirs from http://www.kiwirock.net/music.html . Buy things from their store at http://www.kiwirock.net/store.html .

Here is their entire CD "Beware of Falling Rock". Is it unethical to put up an entire CD for download? This is what the Kiwis said on their website:

"Some might ask "Why are you giving away your first cd?" Well, here's the deal: 1) We sold out of all the original copies. 2) We tried to get it reprinted but the company that has the glass masters went out of bussiness. 3) We're planning to release 3 more albums this year. 4) We're so sick of bands whining like little bitches about how people download their music so we thought we'd lead by example."

So, instead of doing to their site to download it, here it is. There are more free tracks on their site though, and for Tilly and the Wall completists, some tracks feature Derek Presnall. Songs with asterisks (*) next to them are ones that I recommend the most. At least download those, and if you like them, come for more.

The Kiwis of the South Pacific - Beware of Falling Rock (Recorded 1997-2003, Released 2003)


*1. 12 Mirrors
2. Neon Money
3. Sea Song 1
*4. Hotel Party (my first Kiwis song)
*5. What the hell happened to Weezer
6. Making up a song about nothing
7. Sweet as Lime Disease
8. Carolines Tripping
9. Jessica (featuring Jessica)
*10. The Tree Song
11. ??????????
12. Sleeping on the sidewalk
13. Mother Timepod
14. Sea Song # 3: A Pirates Lullabye
15. Let's watch television with out third eye
16. Kelly
17. The Sad Machine will cease to function
*18. Steve Wilkinson/Ellen Black (the most beautiful, esp. lyrically)
*19. Mexico (the prettiest)

For longer track descripions, go here

Add them on MySpace
Go to their website

Once again, please comment if you take. But, it certainly is your choice.

1 comment:

Pedro A.K.A. Andrew Nicholson said...

kiwis did the soundtrack for Ghost abortions.... http://www.youtube.com/thekiwis